How to look after your forklift's tyres during winter
Winter can be a challenging time for forklift operators, as the cold weather and snow can take a toll on the tyres of the forklift. Proper care and maintenance of the tyres during the winter months can help to ensure that your forklift remains safe and reliable.
- Check the tread depth: The tread depth of your forklift’s tyres plays a crucial role in their ability to provide traction on snowy and icy surfaces. Before the winter months, it is important to check the tread depth of your tyres and replace them if the tread is worn or below the minimum recommended depth.
- Inflate the tyres: Cold temperatures can cause the air in your tyres to contract, which can lead to a decrease in tyre pressure. It is important to check the tyre pressure regularly during the winter and inflate them to the recommended pressure as needed.
- Check for uneven wear: uneven wear on your forklift’s tyres can be a sign of a mechanical problem, such as misaligned wheels or worn steering components. If you notice uneven wear on your tyres, it is important to have your forklift inspected by a professional to identify and address the underlying issue.
- Clean the Tyres: Snow and salt can accumulate on the tyres during the winter, which can cause the tyres to wear out faster. It is important to regularly clean the tyres to remove any debris and to prevent rust and corrosion on the tyre rims.
- Store the forklift in a dry place: It is important to store the forklift in a dry place during the winter months, as moisture can cause the tyres to degrade and rust to form on the rims.
- Keep spare tyres: It is always good to have a spare set of tyres on hand in case of a puncture or other tyre-related issue. This will help to minimise downtime and ensure that your forklift is always ready for use.
- Check for cracks: Cold weather can cause the rubber in the tyres to become brittle, which can lead to cracking. It is important to check the tyres for cracks regularly and replace them if they are found.
- Check the alignment: The wheels of the forklift should be properly aligned, as misalignment can cause the tyres to wear unevenly. A qualified technician should be able to check the alignment and make any necessary adjustments.
Overall, proper care and maintenance of your forklift’s tyres during the winter months is crucial to ensure that your forklift remains safe and reliable. Regularly inspecting and maintaining your tyres can help to prevent problems and prolong the life of your tyres. If you have any doubts or issues, it is always best to seek the help of a professional.